Saturday, September 13, 2008

Great Game BUT...It stills needs PINNING and BOARD PLAY



I am really enjoy the fluid and open ice play that this game brings to the table but I can't help but still point out my slight disappointment with the fact that I thought EA's intent for NHL 09 was to improve upon the gameplay of NHL 08 even more then they did.I'm curious to hear from those of you that say this game is far superior to NHL 08...I just dont see it. Perhaps you can explain in what ways?I thought NHL 08 was a great jumping platform for this year's game to really bring the meat and potatoes to the gameplay experience by adding:-Tie ups and scrummages in front of the net-Tie ups, Pinning and impact checks up against boards-fanning, fluttering and all around messier puck control -improved puck physics that has a better sensation of puck rolls, flipping, ect (see NHL 2K9 puck physics...awesome)-After whistle scrummages, facials, jawwing, taunting, shoving in front of the net-More defensive control to use stick to break up plays and player control-Much more lively and animated goalies that do other things than a quick scissor split or the turtle shell cover up. I do see some marginal improvement but overall the gameplay doesnt seem much different from 08 to me so I'd like to hear your thoughtsIn addition to this, Was the franchise mode even touched at all from last year?I don't like to keep making references to NHL 2K9 because I dont think it is as polished and fun as NHL 09 but I DO think they really nailed some things especially in the Franchise Mode again this year by adding clickable NEWS for each and every game played in your franchise that you can read a newspaper style one line headline and drill down further to see the stats from every game played.And one of the coolest features (FINALLY) is the ability to jump in and actually PLAY any matchup you want with any team.. Just the way you can in Madden and NCAA Football. So you can play those key matchups in your league too!In NHL 09 the Dynasty mode has that same exact playing in a silo feel where you have no sense of any other teams in the league cause there is no news, headers or even a schedule to look at of other teams playing in your franchise...there's a sense of loneliness. Also, there's no improved scouting ability or matchup comparisons of rankings and stats you can quickly view between you and your opponent other than the basic 3 or 4 line Offense, Defense, and Overall power bars to compare along with the same generic pre game Keys to victory blurb that displays before the game.Im not trying to bash this game but rather share my slight sense of dissappointment that stems from the fact that I thought this game was going to add a little more of my points mentioned aboved. Its a very good game but I guess I was looking for a little more all around grit and scrap on the ice along with a more feature enriched dynasty mode that built on last year's gameWhat do you think?.....I guess Im in the minority here with my feelings

No comments: