Wednesday, June 18, 2008

It's Been a Crazy 6 Months!



Hi Gang,

I know I haven't posted in forever, but the last 6 months have been kind of crazy. Since I was last here, several things have happened on the work front. Being a part-timer and low man on the totem pole, I was forced to work on both Christmas and New Year's which needless to say I was not enthused about. It's also the first New Year's Lisa and I did not get to ring in together as a couple, so again some disappointment there. Then in mid-April or so, the station decided to streamlined and fired almost twenty people from various departments, including the two part-timers under me in my department. This bumped me back to the dreaded weekend overnight shift, after I had spent a good chunk of time away from it. I'm dealing with it though, and trying to make the best of a suboptimal situation. Updates to come...

January brought my 27th birthday, which (of course) I had to work on, but really I wasn't too upset about it. The highlight of the gift haul was a new GPS system, which I was thrilled to get being so directionally-challenged! Lisa and I spent our fifth wonderful Valentine's Day together in 2008, but were not able to spend Easter together because again, I had to work.

As April rolled on into May, we started thinking about our fifth anniversary, which we have now just recently celebrated. As this was a special one, we decided to plan a trip and happily the big day, June 13th fell on a Friday - ideal for a weekend getaway. We just returned from a wonderfully romantic three-day trip to Mackinaw, where we spent equal time in the city and on the Island, as well as some time in the U.P. The scenery was picturesque, the weather was great and our love is as strong as ever. It's amazing to look back at the amazing experiences we've shared over the last five years and see how far we've come since those early days of dating. I love you forever and always baby; you're the best!!

Finally we come to sports...

Perhaps the biggest happening this summer: The Detroit Red Wings are the 2008 Stanley Cup Champions!! The Wings beat an upstart Pittsburgh Penguins team with young superstars Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin to capture the team's 11th Stanley Cup of all time, tops among American teams in the. It was a great year from start to finished as the team also won the President's Trophy for best overall record as well as several individual awards. Nicklas Lidstrom picked up his 6th Norris Trophy as Best Defenseman and Pavel Datsyuk took home the Selke Trophy for Best Defensive Forward and the Lady Byng Award for Gentlemanly Play. Henrik Zetterberg won the Conn Smythe Award as playoffs MVP. The goalies, Chris Osgood and Dominik Hasek, shared the Jennings trophy for fewest goals allowed during the regular season. Great work guys, and here's to another big run next season!!

The Pistons saw their season end in the Conference Finals this year, as we lost to the eventual NBA Champion Boston Celtics. Head Coach Flip Saunders was let go, and Michael Curry, a former Piston player, named his successor. More to come as the summer continues.

The Tigers, after a slew of off-season trades that brought Edgar Renteria, Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera to town were early favorites to win the World Series. Reality proved otherwise, as the team started a dismal 2-10 in April. Things are slowly starting to improve, but the team has been hit by some injuries and still find themselves in fourth place in the divisional standings (out of five teams). Only time will tell...

Whew! That was a long one, and I'm gonna end it here before it gets any longer. More to come soon, gang.
Source

No comments: