Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Shattered Dreams Litter Bay Street as the Toronto Maple Leafs Continue to Dodge the Playoffs



Well, that was disheartening.

Have you ever built something up in your mind to make it seem to be the be-all-end-all of excellence? That there's no possible way that this could go wrong? That it almost seems like, because you're so confident in what could happen, you overlook the fact that things could go the exact opposite way that you'd want it to?

That was tonight for me.

I had this epic image in me head: The Toronto Maple Leafs come out on home ice, and stage a display of dominance over the Boston Bruins to prove that they're the real deal—to prove that they wanted that eighth and final playoff spot. To prove that they belonged with the's elite.

I started to think as every other member of Leafs Nation does when we get high on our team: We can't be beaten. There's no one that can beat us. Screw overtime and shootouts, screw single points. We'll dominate in regulation, and come out on top. And Big.

Boy was I wrong.

Looking back now, I'd gladly welcome a win in overtime or a shootout. Hell, I'd take a single point.

But not this...anything but this.

Boyd Devereaux came came, and he couldn't make a difference. Alex Ponikarovsky continued to show some flare in the offensive end of the ice and it didn't make a difference. Pavel Kubina kept up his hot play, and that didn't even make a difference.

For all the talent that this team has shown over the past few weeks, this was a sloppy game. There were turnovers, there was weak defensive coverage, and for a team that needed to win these next two games, there was a lack of urgency.

I don't need to go through every single goal. But the fourth goal stands out in my mind: Tomas Kaberle fails to keep the puck in on a promising stretch of play in the Boston end, and it's cleared back into the Toronto zone. Vesa Toskala comes out to play the puck in behind the net, but it caroms out infront. It's cleared pitifully, and is played back across the crease by Glen Metropolit to Phil Kessel, to cement the Bruins lead at 5-2.

And that was it. Sure there was an empty-net goal, but who really cares about those?

All that empty-netter meant was that the game was over. No Mats Sundin, no Nik Antropov, no two-point separation between the Leafs and the playoffs.

Just like every other year: Close, but no cigar. I guess that's a good thing seeing as I don't smoke.

We were talking about this in class today: The Leafs have never had a chance like this to get to the playoffs. Yes last season they had to win and then have a little faith, but this season they could have done it. Just beat the Bruins twice, and they've got their hands on eighth.

I may have passed my exam today, but the Leafs failed their test.

If I wanted to be naive, then I could sit here and say that with a win on Thursday, they're back to within four. Now while that is reassuring to a point, I'm much more realistic than that.

They did exactly what I hoped they wouldn't: Play themselves out of the playoffs while playing themselves out of a high draft pick.

Will I stop watching? Not at all. Will I still hope that they finish strongly? You better believe it.

Do I still sit and pray that Mats Sundin is able to come back and will this team back into a playoff run (whether it's brief or not)?

Damn right.

And if I have to sit and bide my time through the summer months until next year? Then that's what I'll do.

I just hope Mats doesn't go the way of Reed Johnson, Vince Carter, Carlos Delgado, or Doug Gilmour and we get that one last year.

The great thing about being a Leafs fan? We sure as hell ain't realists.

Or English Majors for that matter.


Source

No comments: