Friday, March 7, 2008

Sharks-Blackhawks: Sharks Extend Win Streak to Eight



I hate listening to the radio. In my car, I plug in my iPod and set it to shuffle. At work, I turn on the XM radio to the 7890 or '80s Hits station. So, you can imagine why I was a little apprehensive to listen to the game tonight.

I really could have gone to my local sports bar and watched the game, but with astronomical gas prices and my tips disproportionately lower, I was forced to remain on my couch listening to Jamie Baker flaunt his Canadian accent.

My pain was rewarded with a 3-2 win over the Chicago Blackhawks.

Before the game, I was trying to imagine how the Sharks would fare, since all meetings between Sharks and Blackhawks have been close, one-goal games. I was a little worried, to be honest. There's only so long until the Sharks break their winning streak, and I had the feeling that with the Blackhawks on a roll, going 8-4-0 in their last twelve games, the Sharks would have some trouble. I'm really optimistic, right?

Sure enough, the Blackhawks managed to score around three minutes into the game on the power play because of a roughing penalty from McLaren. Seabrook managed to score backdoor by shoving the puck in the net.

Before I even finished typing my last sentence, Cheechoo scored his twenty-second goal of the year in the slot and chipped it in the net. Michalek deserves a lot of credit for helping out with this goal because of his excellent fore checking and ability to win battles along the boards, an area the Sharks as a whole excel in.

Here's the surprise of the game: McLaren's fourth goal of the season. McLaren's not my favorite defenseman, but I was glad that he was able to contribute offensively. He made his goal from the point with a pass from Thornton. McLaren was coming down the slot and was wide open to receive the pass. The funny thing was that two guys were on Cheechoo, yet the Blackhawks failed to notice McLaren. Heck, even I fail to notice McLaren. Joe made a nifty spin move, made a pass to McLaren, and that was all she wrote.

The next goal was from Jonathan Toews, one of my favorite players in the (go Sioux!). He tipped a goal on Nabby. Duncan Keith took wrist shot with a minute and fifteen seconds left in the first period, and Toews tipped it in.

With five minutes left in the second period, Patrick Marleau scored his fourteenth goal of the season. The Sharks captain has scored four goals in last three games. Marleau went down the ice, chipped the puck past Brent Seabrook, and scored short side under Lalime's blocker. I'm glad that Marleau's picked up his play, not because I'm a fan, but because it's helping the team.

The Sharks were lucky tonight. Rene Bourque almost scored with thirty seconds left in the third period, but the goal was disallowed because he re-directed it in the net with his glove. Once I heard they didn't count the goal, I was a little surprised because the Sharks never catch any breaks.

Tonight was another great game for the Sharks. The players were all very supportive of one another and controlled the neutral zone very well. They managed to regulate an offensively talented Blackhawks team to only seventeen shots, an impressive achievement.The game was just a great team effort overall.

Unfortunately for the Blackhawks, they faced one of the hottest teams in the and came out unsuccessful.

Even though they managed to come out with a win, the Sharks were just horrific on the face-off circle. Thornton was only twenty-two percent tonight, which was a little unusual.

The Sharks are now three points ahead of the Ducks and one point behind the Stars with two games at hand on both teams.

The Sharks will play on Sunday against the Minnesota Wild, their second out of three road games.


Source

No comments: