Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Max Giese: Interview with San Jose Sharks left wing prospect Lukas Kaspar



SAN JOSE SHARKS LW PROSPECT LUKAS KASPAR NOV 2 2007 AGAINST LA SAN JOSE SHARKS LW LUKAS KASPAR - FILE PHOTO JON SWENSON Lukas Kaspar, the Sharks first-round selection in the 2004/nhl Entry Draft, began the season in San Jose after making the team out of training-camp thanks to an impressive pre-season. Kaspar was effective offensively while being defensively responsible. He played in the Sharks' first 6 games of the season where he scored his first/nhl career goal (also a game winner), in a 1-0 shutout win at Los Angeles on October 12th. During time spent in San-Jose, Kaspar played mostly on the fourth-line while averaging 7 minutes of ice-time. The Sharks later opted to send Kaspar down to the AHL to play for the Worcester Sharks while recalling rugged right wing Brad Staubitz and left wing Jamie McGinn. Kaspar has accumulated 117 points in 227 games during 3 seasons in the AHL. A 23 year-old native of Most, Czech Republic, Kaspar is a skill forward with size (6-foot-2, 225 pounds). For a player of his size, Kaspar is also a fluid skater with soft hands around the net. He has goal scoring tools in a heavy shot and a quick release, but he often elects to create through the passing game rather than finishing a play himself. Kaspar is a creative offensive player that has noticeable improved his defensive play since joining the Sharks organization. He projects as a solid two-way player in the/nhl, and currently is one of the Sharks top offensive prospects at the AHL level. Sharkspage was able to catch up with Lukas Kaspar and find out how he is doing since being sent down to Worcester. Kaspar is a charismatic young-man with a good sense of humor, and was kind enough to answer a few questions from Max Giese about starting the season with the San Jose Sharks, how having fellow Czechs Milan Michalek and Tomas Plihal helped while he was in the/nhl, his linemates in Worcester, what it was like to be drafted, and how he has worked to improve the defensive side of his game. [MG] You had a very strong pre-season and scored your first/nhl goal this year while playing in the Sharks’ first six games of the season. How did you enjoy your time in San Jose and does that time in San Jose make you that much hungrier to get back to the/nhl? [LK] I loved it there in San Jose and it was a dream come true playing in the/nhl for the Sharks. The time there makes me want to work my ass off to get back there. [MG] You made your/nhl debut last-season and played in three games for the Sharks. What are the differences between what Ron Wilson and Todd McLellan asked of you to do on the ice? [LK] Nothing really. It was all about just making and sticking with the team under both coaches. [MG] Does having fellow Czech born players like Milan Michalek and Tomas Plihal in the Sharks organization help make you feel more comfortable on and off the ice in San Jose? [LK] Yes it helps a lot. It’s nice to have someone to talk to about things and to hang out with. [MG] Who was your roommate on the road with the San Jose Sharks? [LK] Milan Michalek was my roommate and he was great. [MG] I heard he has quite the sense of humor? [LK] All Czechs do (laughs). [MG] What were your emotions like after being notified that you were being put on waivers and being sent back to Worcester? [LK] I was disappointed obviously and who wouldn’t be? Playing in the/nhl is my dream, but there isn’t anything I can do about it at this time. [MG] When San Jose assigned you to Worcester, what were some of the areas of your game they wanted you to continue to work on and what do you believe you need to do to stick in the/nhl? [LK] I talked to the coaches and they just said to play hard every shift. They said it wasn’t that I played myself out of San Jose, but they wanted to try new players and add new ingredients to the team. [MG] How do you feel you have performed recently in Worcester after being reassigned? How does the team look this year? [LK] I have played well and have been on an assortment of different line combinations. I have enjoyed playing with guys like Steven Zalewski, Mike Morris, and Riley Armstrong. We have a good team and I am trying to help them win some games. [MG] Do you ever feel any added pressure on yourself because you were a first-round draft pick? [LK] No I don’t think so. You get drafted high and then get signed which is nice, but after that you aren’t any different than the rest of the guys and you have to work just as hard. [MG] Going back to the 2004/nhl Entry draft, can you describe your emotions when the Sharks traded up to draft you with their first pick of the draft 22nd overall? [LK] Very excited and happy. Playing in the/nhl has always been my dream. At the time though I didn’t really know much about the/nhl. I collected hockey cards and was able to see the Stanley Cup finals, but that was it. The Sharks were always a favorite of mine because of their cool logo. [MG] Before the draft did you suspect the Sharks were targeting you with their pick? [LK] No not at all. I remember sitting there with my family and the Sharks made a trade with New Jersey to move up to 22nd overall and I said to myself and to my family that they are not taking me. I was surprised and shocked when they picked me. I went to the/nhl combine in Toronto and was interviewed by 22 teams, but the Sharks weren’t one of them and I never talked to them before the draft. Some teams spoke with me in the Czech Republic during the season, but the Sharks never did. I also didn’t know much about California. [MG] Coming out of the draft you were known as a pure goal scorer, does that fairly describe your game? [LK] I don’t think I ever was a pure goal scorer. It wasn’t as if I was just sitting there waiting for the puck and then would shoot it in the net. I have always tried to make plays and pass the puck first. I come from the same town as guys like Jiri Sleger and Martin Rucinski. I had the same coach from third grade to the eight grade and he always taught us not to be selfish and that a pass was always better than taking the shot. Then I came over to North America and all they do is get on me to shoot more now. [MG] Now your game seems to be about solid two-way play and you even kill penalties. What was behind that transition of style of play? [LK] Soon as I was drafted the Sharks told me I had to work on my defensive game. It was something that I always knew I had to work on and always believed that I had the ability to do so, but now I can honestly say that I have made huge progress and can say that I am a two-way player. [MG] What do you believe you need to work on to get back to the/nhl and stick? [LK] It’s tough to say and all I can do is play my hardest. Right now I am trying to put up more points during my time down in Worcester. [MG] Have you set any goals for yourself this season? [LK] No doubt I want to get back to and play in the/nhl this-season. That would be a dream come true to go back to San Jose. The/nhl is definitely my goal, but I also want to help Worcester win some games while I’m here. [Update] Prospect Insider: San Jose Sharks 2008-2009 top 12 prospects - Shane Malloy for TSN.Source

No comments: