Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Josh Bailey making NHL debut



It might be Veterans Day everywhere else on Long Island today, but at Nassau Coliseum, it's Rookie's Day. Word is that Islanders No. 1 draft pick Josh Bailey definitely will make his debut against Philadelphia this afternoon at 2. It's uncertain whose spot he's taking in the lineup, but it's most likely that of center Mike Comrie, who underwent an examination of his surgically repaired hip on Monday. When I spoke to Bailey last Friday, we talked about watching some of the other first-round draft picks who got their chance to make it and succeeded in sticking with their teams. "I'm friends with a lot of them," Bailey said. "I like to see what they're doing. If their game is on TV, I'll watch to see how they're making out. I keep in touch a little bit. It's encouraging to see guys my age being able to step up in the. It's something you want to do as well. It can be done. I feel confident you can do it well." There may be a conditioning gap for Bailey to overcome since this will be his first game action in nearly seven weeks, but he's up for the challenge. "That might make a little bit of a difference," Bailey said. "But there's no excuses. When you're back in the lineup, you have to perform, and I plan on doing that, too. I feel good. I've been keeping up my strength, and my cardio is coming along. When I get back in the lineup, I'm going to be confident I can do my best." The time is now.Source

No comments: