Friday, February 22, 2008

Sharks-Flyers: Sharks Snap Season-High Losing Streak



I raced home from my job to reach my DVR so I could watch the Sharks game. I couldn't believe what I had heard from my co-worker: the season-high five-game losing streak ended for the Sharks with a 3-1 win over the Philadelphia Flyers.

I am a big Sharks fan, and it always makes me feel good when the team snags a win, but I didn't expect them to come out of Philly with the two points. Before going into the game, the Flyers were at an eight-game losing streak, needless to say I was anticipating that the Flyers would come out with more intensity than the Sharks. 

Here were the lines for the night, and I decided to do an analysis of each line and player. Just to try something new for the few that read my column...

Michalek-Thornton-Cheechoo

  • Cheechoo remains to plant himself in front of the net, which can only bring good things for the Sharks. That's how Cheechoo became the Rocket Richard winner, and that's why lately he's become "en fuego", if you will.
  • Thornton was on the receiving end of a huge hit by Jason Smith. Even though I was sitting comfortably on my reclining couch, I could feel Joe's pain. Thornton also gave a terrific feed to Cheechoo for his sixteenth goal of the season, his twelfth in the last seventeen games.
  • Michalek made an amazing game-winning goal, becoming the first twenty goal-scorer on the Sharks this season.

Marleau-Pavelski-Bernier

  • Marleau was looking a little better tonight, putting more shots on net. I'm still not fully convinced that he is still a suitable captain for the Sharks.
  • I'm convinced Pavelski should be getting more ice time. He managed to get an assist and a +2 rating.
  • Bernier registered an assist on Murray's goal, but only put one shot on net. This was his first point in eight games. I expect more from Bernier, who has been noticeably less apparent on the score sheet compared to last season.

Rissmiller-Mitchell-Grier

  • Mitchell's speed continues to amaze me. He is definitely the rookie of the year for the Sharks.
  • This line was pretty flat during the Devils game, but provided a source of energy in the game tonight.
  • Grier is one of the hardest-working players on the team. I don't want to waste space raving about him, but just know he's one of my top ten players in the lineup.

Shelley-Goc-Roenick

  • Shelley was a terrific pickup for the Sharks. He always makes good plays and puts shots on net, resulting in opportunities for rebounds. He's also stepped up as a leader in the locker room, something the Sharks need desperately.
  • Goc continues to move his feet and put shots on net, and I'm glad Wilson continues to keep him in the line-up.
  • I was impressed with the Flyers organization for honoring Roenick's 500th goal before the game, it showed a lot of classiness. I was rooting for Roenick to score a goal, but I was disappointed.

Ehrhoff-McLaren

  • Defensive mistakes always stick in my head after reviewing a game, and Ehrhoff didn't have a good read on a particular play during the first period. His mistake could have resulted in a goal for the Flyers. Despite his slip-up, Ehrhoff is still probably one of the best defensemen on the Sharks lineup.
  • McLaren was better defensively during the game and had an assist on Michalek's goal. 

Carle-Rivet

  • Carle did show signs of improvement in this game. I'm sure his confidence has taken a big hit this season, but I hope he can get it together. His last goal was on December 29th.
  • Rivet did make a good play to block a shot by Briere on an odd-man rush, but I was disappointed with a particular play that resulted in the Flyers' only goal. Instead of planting himself in front of the Flyers' net, he should have been giving support to Murray. Because Murray was the only man back when Cheechoo turned the puck over, the Flyers made a great tic-tac-toe play for a goal at the end of the second period.

Murray-Vlasic

  • Congrats to Murray for his first-ever goal! Yes, if you are not a Douglas Murray fanatic like I am, you read that correctly. Murray went 115 games without a goal.
  • Vlasic picked up an assist on Cheechoo's goal tonight, and has had five assists in his last eight games. 

Nabokov

  • Good to have the iron-man back. He had some amazing saves tonight, and I'm glad that he didn't get any other injuries from that puck to the face. Definitely made some impressing saves.
  • He gave a great post-game interview to Randy Hahn and Drew Remenda, and gives great insight into the game. People would be surprised to know that he's a funny guy!
The Sharks play the Penguins on Sunday, and hopefully the Sharks can keep the Cheechoo train rolling!
Source

No comments: