Thursday, January 3, 2008

No Place Without You. Chapter One.



Written by: [info]lady_lilith and [info]lady_death.

Title: No Place Without You. Chapter One.
Fandom:: Dallas Stars.
Characters: Mike Modano, Brenden Morrow.
Word Count: 490.
Rating: PG.
Summary: Mike doesn't react like a grown up.
Author's Notes: This is set on September 29, 2006, the day that it was announced that Brenden would be taking over the Captaincy from Mike.


There's commotion at his door, "Mike?"

No reply.

Pulls out his keys, opening the door, calling out his name again, "Mike?"

No reply.

Wandering through the house, finally comes upon him on the couch. Places a hand on his shoulder, "Mike?"

His eyes closed, "Move your hand."

"You've got a problem with my hand?"

"At the moment, yes."

"Mike. It wasn't done to hurt you."

"That's nice."

Sighs, taking his hand away, "Look at me."

Opens his eyes, turning towards him.

"How was I going to tell them 'no'?"

"How about 'no'?"

"They talked to you first."

"I know."

"It's still your team."

"I know."

"Then the letter doesn't matter, eveyone on the team knows." Kneels down next to the couch, moving in to kiss him.

Moves away just enough to let him know he won't let him.

"Mike. Stop this."

"Excuse me?!"

"Stop, okay. Get pissed off later. It's been a bad week."

"Must be horrible for you."

"Yeah, to have you like this, it is."

"You could have said no."

"They didn't want me to say no. How would I explain no?"

"You're always talking, you could have come up with something."

"How would I explain it with her? It just happened, but it's only on paper."

"I don't care."

Slumps down on the floor, turning with his back up against the couch, "You're mad at me?"

"Yes."

"Because I should have said no."

"Yes."

"You're going to stay that way a while."

"Yes."

"And I can't help make you forgive me faster."

"No."

"You want an apology?"

"You won't mean it."

"I mean it, I am sorry."

"No, you're not."

"Yeah, I fucking am."

"You would have said no, if you were."

"I wouldn't have to apologise if I said no."

"You're playing word games."

"No. That's the truth. You wouldn't be mad if I said no."

"If you really felt sorry, you wouldn't have done it in the first place. And that's the truth."

"I can't be sorry, now?"

"Too little, too late."

"I wasn't looking to steal your show."

"You did."

"It's not like I was plotting this."

Shrugs.

"Not talking to me?"

"Nothing to say."

"I should go."

"Yes."

His shoulders slump more, "Am I allowed to come back?"

"I don't know."

"Mike, I wouldn't have if I'd known it would go like this. With you, and the papers, and everything."

"How could you not know? You think it would be a big secret? Or happen subtly?"

"No, I don't know. I wasn't thinking right about it."

"You're young, you're not stupid."

"Yeah, I guess that's true."

Silence.

Stands, fiddling with his keys, leaving the house key on the couch next to him. "I'm sorry." Starts to walk away.

Not moving, "Keep the key."

"You forgive me, you can give it back."

Closes his hand around the key, but says nothing.

Looks back at him, sighing, and then dragging himself out of the room.
Source


No comments: