Monday, April 7, 2008

Hudon on the NHL Playoffs: Predictions



It took me quite awhile to figure out what to write about in my first article. Seeing as I've been a few times that I'm a loud mouth and can be quite opinionated at times, I figured I may as well show my arrogance and spoil the Stanley Cup playoffs for everyone. Forget about the suspense and intrigue of the's second season because I will tell you EXACTLY how it will play out ( OK maybe not exactly, but I'm going to say that my predictions will be pretty damn close). So without a further adieu here are my predictions all the way to the Stanley Cup winner.


Eastern Conference: Round 1

Montreal Canadiens (1) vs. Boston Bruins (8): In case you've been hiding under a rock since the lock out, the Habs have essentially owned the Bruins, winning 11 straight from the Bruins. No reason for this domination to end now. Both teams have key injuries, but I feel the Bruins' injuries affect the team more then the injuries that the Habs are facing. I say Habs in 5.

Pittsburgh Penguins (2) vs. Ottawa Senators (7): The Ottawa Senators lost their heart and soul when they faced the Toronto Maple Leafs last Thursday as hockey fans witnessed Mark Bell beat down the Sens on his own. When the Sens lose this series the Pens should send Bell a fruit basket or some pot pourri as a thank you for giving them a huge assist. Daniel Alfredsson and Mike Fisher are huge components to the Sens success and with out them, Ottawa will tank. The scary part about this whole situation is not the problems that Ottawa is facing at this moment (that's an article for another day), but we've yet to see the Penguins firing on all cylinders this year. I say Pens in 5.

New Jersey Devils (4) vs. New York Rangers (5): Even though these are two of the lower scoring teams in the league this past season, I feel this will be one of the better first round match ups. We have a heated cross town rivalry in one of the biggest markets in the. I love Marty Brodeur. I think he's the greatest goalie to ever live, but I just think the Rangers are just too strong for them. There's a reason why the Rangers beat the Devils 7 times this year. Even though I threw this stat out, don't let it fool you. This will be a long series. I say Rangers in 7

Washington Capitals (3) vs. Philadelphia Flyers (6): The Capitals are flying high and the Flyers, to me, are looking just average. This year is not the Flyers' year. Their youth needs to grow one more year and then they will be a force to reckon with. Yes I know the Caps are just as young, if not younger,but they have all the momentum in the world and they will be this years sweetheart team. I say Capitals in 6.

Western Conference: Round 1

Detroit Red Wings (1) vs. Nashville Predators (8): Detroit is once again looking to prove that they can make it in the playoffs. Nashville is spent from battling for a playoff spot. I say the Wings walk right through the Preds in 5, once again proving that Nashville is nothing more then a playoffs contender and not a Stanley Cup contender.

San Jose Sharks (2) vs. Calgary Flames (7): Yes the Flames owned the Sharks this year, but the Sharks have been one of the hottest teams in the league the last 2 months. Plus the Sharks have something to prove as they have been nothing more then a playoff disappointment the past few years. I say Sharks in 6.

Minnesota Wild (3) vs. Colorado Avalanche (6): Honestly, I'd have to flip a coin to truly pick a winner in this series. Both teams have the ability to surprise a team or two in the playoffs, but both teams have had to deal with inconsistent goaltending this year. I say Wild in 7, only because I'll be rooting for them.

Anaheim Ducks (4) vs. Dallas Stars (5): The curse on Marty Turco will continue this year. The Stars have been free falling since the trade deadline, and the Ducks have a lot going for them. They have arguably the best D corps ever put together on an team, they are the defending Stanley Cup champs and if need be, they'll just beat the crap out of you. I say Ducks in 6.

Eastern Conference: Round 2

Montreal Canadiens (1) vs. New York Rangers (5): Do you believe in miracles? At times I do, but more so, I'm very superstitious and I believe in the ghosts of the Forum. I also think Montreal's miraculous come from behind game in February will haunt the Rangers. It's a shame that these two teams have to meet in the second round, as this would be a phenomenal conference final. I say Habs in 7.

Pittsburgh Penguins (2) vs. Washington Capitals (3): This the's dream match up. They will be able to market this one like there is no tomorrow. Crosby vs. Ovechkin could be the's version of Magic vs. Bird. At least that's what the league is hoping for. Plus, factor in that these two teams faced each other in the playoffs a number times throughout the 90's, this has the makings of being THE series of the playoffs. So who to pick here? I see Crosby besting Ovechkin where it matters the most and that's the wins column. I say Penguins in 6.

Western Conference: Round 2

Detroit Red Wings (1) vs. Anaheim Ducks (4): The Ducks are just too physical for this fragile Red Wings team. With Anaheim crashing the net the way they do,Hasek will be at his finest. Which is flopping around like a sniper just hit him from the nose bleeds. I say Ducks in 6.

San Jose Sharks (2) vs. Minnesota Wild (3): I'll be cheering for the Wild, but this is as far their run will go. San Jose is just too beastly and they will tame the Wild. Sorry for the cheese ball joke. I say Sharks in 5.

Eastern Conference: Round 3

Montreal Canadiens (1) vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (2): The Cinderella run continues. The ghosts of the Forum will haunt Crosby and the Penguins. This may be the start of a classic rivalry that will last many many years as both of these teams are full of premier youthful talent. I say Habs in 7.

Western Conference: Round 3

San Jose Sharks (2) vs. Anaheim Ducks (4): The Sharks will finally get the monkey off their back. The Ducks will run out of gas after a long season which saw them have a short summer and travel to Europe. The Ducks aren't as offensive as last year and they should be running out of gas by this time. I say Sharks in 6.

Stanley Cup Final

San Jose Sharks vs. Montreal Canadiens: The Sharks are big a team with speed to burn. The Habs are probably a faster team but they will have a tough time defending against the size of the Sharks. While I've been preaching that the Habs will have history and the ghosts of the forum on their side throughout the playoffs, the Sharks will have a greater desire to win this because their window of opportunity is quickly closing. I say Sharks in 5.

There you have it readers. My comprehensive Stanley Cup playoffs predictions. No need to watch the playoffs now that I have ruined it all for you. Enjoy the playoffs!


Source

No comments: